Friday, June 27, 2008

Thankful . . .



That is what I feel today. Chris and I went to the Memorial service for the Hart family today. It was an amazing celebration of their lives and their commitment to each other and to their church. They were extrememly involved in youth groups, mission trips to Mexico, VBS, weekly sunday school, volunteering and coordinating everything, and on and on. Salt of the earth people.

It really made me reflect on myself and my relationship with my church. Sure, we go to church most Sundays, we pray at dinner every night, the kids went to VBS this week, I taught Children's ministry every week last year, but is it enough? Am I giving back all that I have to offer? The pastor reflected a lot on a bible verse that really struck home to me. Matthew 25:31-40. It's not about the "projects - ex: clothing drives, food drives, etc." it's about the people that need the assistance of those projects and how we reach out and get to know and help those people. I know that I'm rambling, but as I sat in the church this morning and watched the slide show of their lives, saw the parents and children around me crying and grieving, it made me thankful for what I have and reflective of what more can I do?

My two older nephews and niece are on their way home either today or tomorrow from a mission trip in Belize. This is the link for their diary. It's so neat to be able to see what they are doing. I can't wait to hear all about it from them. In the group picture my nephew, Dylan, is on the left wearing a navy blue and white striped polo. His sister, Cassie, is right in front of him with the white shirt and long hair down. My other nephew, Matthew, is on the right in a three colored striped polo. Cassie is also in one of the soccer pictures in a red shirt, and she is playing with some of the little kids wearing a white shirt. Pray for a safe return for all of them!

I love these old pictures of them playing in the puddles after the rain!

1 comment:

The Herd said...

As long as you are doing what the Lord has for you to do, even if it doesn't seem like the long list of "others," it's "enough" for Him.
As we seek the Lord and His will for us, we will have the peace that only He provides in the "doing." If we are getting tired with all the tasks of the "doing" then, perhaps, the things we are doing are not what the Lord has really asked of us to do.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics of the kids playing in the rain. That's really awesome about your family being involved in missions...I checked out the site...very cool!