Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ice Days....

The Doves were taking refuge on our swing set.
The kids trying to get to the icicles.
Success!!!
I'm in my classroom on Tuesday morning around 10:50am and I hear over the intercom, "Will all team leaders please report to the office." Hmmm...I know that this is not good. Within 5 minutes my team leader is running down the hallway - literally - and gathering us all up. She tells us that Plano ISD is releasing the students at 12:30pm and we have to call ALL of the parents and make sure that they know. Well...that just sent everyone into a tizzy. Before I could even get back to the classroom to explain to the students what was going on, the office manager comes over the intercom and tells the students. Now we're at just pure bedlam. The kids are not worried, they are just plain EXCITED!! Note that at this time it's 11am and we're not dismissing for another hour and 1/2...also, please note that no learning went on during this time. The phones overloaded because every teacher of every student in PISD was having to call home. CRAZY. I, being the fabulous problem solver that I am, decide to use my cell phone. Now every parent from my 2nd class of kids (24 in all) has my cell phone number - nice 'huh? Oh well..no calls yet! Can you imagine what it was like trying to get 24 5th graders to stay focused on something to do or watch so that I could call all of those parents. It was definitely a large glass of wine night for me so I was glad that school was cancelled the next day. I just don't want to make it up!!

3 comments:

B.E.A.L. said...

Great pictures of your kiddos enjoying the ice day! I can totally picture your classroom and all of the people on their phone...you are a smart cookie to use your cell...isn't wine THE BEST?!

The Christenson's said...

That is craziness! It must have been bad because it is not like Plano to shut down early! Nuts! I just knew we were going to get out on Wednesday, but nope, the weatherman lied and it didn't get that bad.
Hope you enjoyed an unexpected day off!

The Herd said...

I don't envy you on the phone! But that is awesome that you had all their numbers and they know yours so they would pick up! Craziness! Are you better today or did you have to stay home?